I firmly believe that we are all made for greatness, with special gifts and talents, and a God given purpose. I point to Scripture as indication of such:
- Jeremiah 1:5 – “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. And before you went forth from the womb, I sanctified you. And I made you a prophet to the nations.”
- Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
- John 10:10 – I have come so that they may have life, and have it more abundantly.
To me, these verses clearly mean that we are made for greatness. God conceived of us thousands of years ago, making us in His image and likeness, as part of His grand plan, individually and as a part of all of humanity. God gifted each of us with very specific and unique talents, making all of us 10s on a scale of 1-10. Loving you more than you’ll ever know, no matter what you’ve ever done, God wants the very best for you. He wants you to be happy and fulfilled. God made you (all of us) for GREATNESS!!!
So the question is…how do you determine where your greatness lies? Or stated another way, what is your purpose in life? I would suggest that the process for this is to be prayerful and methodical.
First, make a list of your talents, your skills, the things that God has gifted you with. Thinking about them and praying through them, jot down anything that comes to mind. It would be a good idea to group them into categories, again jotting any thoughts that come to you. Then, sit in silence, listening for God’s voice. Let Him speak into what you have on paper, taking note of anything He is communicating.
Next make a list of your desires. What are the things that you really enjoy doing? Often they are the things that you are very good at. What would you like to accomplish in the short-term? In the long-term? What mark do you want to leave on this world? Pray through the list, thinking about each word, expanding on each where appropriate. Then listen for God’s voice. What’s He telling you about your desires.
Finally, make a list of your needs. I’d suggest the categories would include:
- Spiritual – what is your relationship with God? How can it improve? What do you want to do to enhance it?
- Emotional – what is the health of your relationships, including with yourself. Do you have a positive self-image? Do you like yourself? Do you love yourself….humbly? Do you have a strong inner circle of friends, those who support you on your journey? What improvements do you need to make here?
- Intellectual – how are you feeding your mind? Are you stimulated or stagnant? What changes do you need to make?
- Physical – first there are the basics of food, clothing, and shelter. What are your necessities, given the life you are living…or are planning? After the basics, you can add some detail, including health (diet) and fitness.
- Financial – what are your needs, i.e. kids in college, retirement, houses, cars
Making a list of all of these things, I’d again suggest taking them to prayer, writing down whatever comes to mind. Then, again sit in silence, listening for the Lord to speak into your life.
In addition to the above, I’d suggest discussing these things with others…advisors, mentors, those you can trust.
Lastly, look to signs in your life. God speaks to us through others. Examples could be:
- Conversations you have
- Books or verses you read, including Scripture
- Song you hear
- Something you see
- Something you experience, including those things that bring you joy
God wired each of us in a very specific way, giving us unique talents, desires, and needs. He made us each for a unique, specific, and special purpose. Praying through where your talents, desires, and needs intersect will lead you to your purpose. What is yours?
As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, or challenges at [email protected].
God Bless you on your Path to Peace, Joy, and Fulfillment!!!